Sunday, July 21, 2013

setting up a worm farm - part one

i've heard great things about a worm farm and setting one up at home has been on my mind for awhile. 

generally, avid gardeners/home veggie growers set up worm farm in their garden to help produce fertiliser/feeds for their garden. while i'm not an avid gardener nor do i have a veggie patch, i do like the idea of a worm farm. it feels like if i have a worm farm, i'm reducing my carbon footprint and my chilli plants, lemon tree and herbs can really do with some fertiliser. 

another reason why i finally decided to look into worm farming is our compost bin is broken and i think the rodents have been helping themselves to my veggie scraps. the last thing i want is a rodent plague in my house! in fact, our compost bin has not been working properly for some time despite my best effort to do my bit for the environment by composting everything i can. so i decided it was time to set up a worm farm.

a ready made worm farm would set me back $85 and this does not include live compost worms. then i looked into diy worm farm and after three youtube videos, i think i managed to grasp the concept of a worm farm and i think i should be able to build one (with Jim's help) from scratch without a ready made kit. 

we found two 54 litres containers from Kmart today, one with lid and one without, $19 for both. now the next thing is for Jim to drill some holes on one of the containers, to find a spot in the garden for the worm farm, a box of live worms and some veggie scraps! 

No comments:

Post a Comment